This is my new design for the bird wing imagery. I wanted to try and be a bit more creative with the layout so I added an extra circle adding a splash of colour which draws your eye immediately.
Again, I made changes to the final draft.
– Changed the font of the title (Author in Bold, Makes it more organised and stand out further)
– Added imagery to the back cover (Makes it more interesting and makes the grey follow
– Changed the position of the blurb (to make it easier to read and fits within the imagery.)
– Added the fingerprint pattern to the spine (to reinforce the subject matter.)
– Changed the colour of the font on the spine (to make it stand out on a shelf.)
I am very happy with the final draft as with Cold Blood, they have previously used mainly photographic imagery. I wanted to bring a more modern illustrative style whilst also bringing the truth that photography can bring. I felt this will intrigue new readers as I feel as though there is still a mystery to the imagery whereas a documentary photographic image is more self explanatory.
With these designs I tested out the positioning and design of the spine and title. I tried adding colour to the spine to see if this would stand out more on a bookshelf than the white however just doesn’t work with the type and as a whole.
I also colourised ‘Blood’ to red and in one design filled in the o’s. I really like blood highlighted red as it works well with the image below however i’m not too keen on the o’s filled in as it makes it look unorganised. The highlighted and coloured ‘blood’ works really well with the image underneath and allows your eye to travel from the word to the image.
To start a new idea for this book, I realised I could use the fingerprint patterned heads I created last year. I’ve been meaning to use these images for something and thought this would be the perfect opportunity.
I started by just testing what the image would look like with the title and the given text they’ve asked for. I feel like it works really well with the style and time of the murders. The fingerprints represent the forensic side and the multiple heads represents the multiple murders.
I’ve swayed more towards the red image as it’s more eye-catching and also represents murder (red = blood).
I also decided to do ‘In cold Blood’ by Truman Capote as well as To Kill a Mockingbird as my favourite genre is thriller/murder. Even though I thought I would find this easier to design than Mockingbird I actually struggled at the start with ideas.
The first idea I had was outlining a dead body as if at a crime scene. I decided to use patterned lines to create the outline as if it’s emerging from the ground.
As I finished this image I knew it was not right for the book as I didn’t look like a murdered body at a crime scene. However I did really like the image so I continued to experiment with colours. I feel It would also be too busy and didn’t suit the style of a Non Fiction journalistic book.
I chose this live brief due to the immediate interest in genre and knew it would be a challenge to take on such iconic books. I also wanted to learn more about designing a book cover such as formats, typography and requirements clients may ask. I made many versions of imagery by experimenting with colour, positioning and design. The cover is simple but to the point. I feel as though they bring something different to what’s been used before.
I’ve allowed myself to be more critical of my work, telling myself what doesn’t work and/or what wouldn’t grab the attention of the audience no matter how much I liked it myself. I feel as though the cover would work very well and i’ve focused equally on the image itself along with the text and typography and learnt a lot to what goes into designing a cover, especially the technicality side and bleeding related to printing.